Smooth Back to School
Tips for a smooth transition of students and athletes back to school:
1. Take your child to orientation to help them familiarize with the environment they will be spending so much time in.
2. Complete all necessary paper work and payments BEFORE the first day of school. Unfinished forms and requirements can cause extra stress for students/athletes.
3. If required, be sure their physical has been completed, if not schedule their appointment. Most teams will not allow athletes to participate until this requirement has been met.
4. Talk to your child about what to expect once school starts. Listen to any fears or worries they have.
5. Validate your child, for example, "It sounds like you are worried your friend Isabelle may not be in your class this year. I know she is a good friend of yours. I remember wanting my good friends to be in my class too when I was your age."
Author: Katey Collins, LCSW, MSW
Licensed Clinical Social worker, mother, wife, athlete